Foodservice Equipment & Supplies named Aba in Austin, Texas, the recipient of its 2022 Facility Design Project of the Year Award.
The judges lauded this design not only for its effectiveness but for its efficiency in the way food migrates from the loading dock to the guests’ plates,” says Joe Carbonara, FE&S editorial director. “The incredible attention to detail throughout this design allows the restaurant to get the most out of this space. The design includes indoor and outdoor dining also keeps it very on point. And the fact that they accomplished all of this during a pandemic that wreaked havoc with supply chains made this project all the more impressive.”
“We are grateful and honored to be selected as Facility Design Project of the Year,” says Marc Jacobs, executive partner and divisional president for Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, which owns Aba. “I am truly fortunate to work with an incredible team of designers and leaders. Our focus was to use every inch of our space to best service both our employees and guests.”
Key members of the Aba project team include:
- Owner: Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises Inc.
- President, LEYE, Chicago: R.J. Melman
- Executive partner and divisional president, LEYE, Chicago: Marc Jacobs
- Chef partner of Aba, The Dalcy, Ēma and Rotisserie Ēma, Chicago: CJ Jacobson
- Architect of record: Sixthriver, Austin, Texas: Stephanie Guariglia, senior associate. The firm worked in conjunction with John Cinelli, LEYE’s director of architecture, to stamp/prepare drawings for approval by the city.
- Interior design: LEYE: Marc Jacobs, executive partner and divisional president; Avril Zayas, director of interior design; Variant Collaborative, Chicago
- Foodservice consultants: Equipment Dynamics Inc., Chicago: Beth Kuczera, president
- Equipment dealer: ADE Restaurant Services Inc., Addison, Ill.: Steve Schoop, president; Phil Rivera, project manager
- Construction: Rand Construction, Austin, Texas
In addition, FE&S’ judges recognized the efforts of the team from Eagle Landing at the University of North Texas with an honorable mention in this year’s competition. “This design really allows the operation to get the most out of its labor,” Carbonara adds. “Plus it should be lauded for its focus on sustainability initiatives.”
The 2022 Facility Design Project of the Year Award was selected by a panel of judges including Bill Davis of Edward Don & Company, Stuart Davis of Stuart Davis Design, Scott Reitano of Reitano Design Group, and Kristin Sedej, FCSI of S2O Consultants Inc.
FE&S Dealer of the Year & All-Industry Awards Gala recognizes the foodservice community’s brightest stars by presenting them with some of the industry’s most time-honored awards, including the FE&S Dealer of the Year Award, Hall of Fame Award, Top Achievers and DSR of the Year.