ACF member chefs share their industry perspectives through this annual research.
The National Restaurant Association's "What's Hot in 2012" survey of nearly 1,800 professional chefs – members of the American Culinary Federation (ACF) – shed some light on a series of culinary and food prep trends that are certain to shape the foodservice industry in 2012.
With that in mind, here are the top 10 food prep and culinary themes for 2012 according to the NRA.
- Sous vide
- Liquid nitrogen chilling/freezing
- Hyper-local sourcing (e.g. restaurant gardens)
- Children's nutrition
- Gluten-free/food allergy conscious
- Farm/estate-branded ingredients
- Food trucks/street food
- Simplicity/back to basics
- Food-alcohol pairings