Antoinette “Toni” Watkins, MS, RDN, is the recipient of the 2021 Gold Plate Award presented by the International Foodservice Manufacturers Association. Watkins is system director of Food & Nutrition Services at Riverside Health System.
Watkins attended the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, where she received her B.S. degree, and Boston University, where she achieved her M.S. She joined Riverside Health System in 2015, assuming control of multiple sites throughout eastern Virginia. Through benchmarking, productivity initiatives, technology, and creative strategies, she has made substantial improvements and saved the system more than $1 million through enhancements.
“I am honored and I am blessed with the opportunities that have been in front of me,” said Watkins. “I’ve been really fortunate to work for an organization to help take the lead in helping to make a difference in the community in which we serve. This award truly means a lot. It’s a lifetime achievement, but it’s not the end.”
Watkins was one of nine foodservice professionals to receive IFMA’s 2021 Silver Plate Award. From those nine Silver Plate Award recipients, one is selected to receive the Gold Plate Award. The remaining 2021 Silver Plate recipients include:
- Hotels and Lodging: Bill Kohl, principal, Greenwood Hospitality Group
- Elementary & Secondary Schools: Dani Sheffield, executive director, Child Nutrition Services, Aldine ISD, Aldine Independent School District
- Colleges & Universities: Steve Mangan, senior director, University of Michigan Dining Services
- Retail & Specialty Foodservice: Phillip Allison, deputy director, U.S. Naval Academy Business Services Division
- Chain Full Service: John Cywinski, president, Applebee’s Grill + Bar
- Business & Industry/Foodservice Management: Scott Davis, CEO, FLIK Hospitality
- Independent Restaurant / Multi-Concept: Thomas Keller, chef/proprietor, Chef Thomas Keller's Restaurants
- Chain Limited Service: Nick Vojnovic, president, Little Greek Fresh Grill
IFMA's annual Gold & Silver Plate Awards honor foodservice operators from nine industry segments. IFMA members and industry leaders nominate operators to receive the Silver Plate award who are then selected by a jury including national trade press, foodservice experts and past Gold & Silver Plate award winners.