According to Technomic's Generational Consumer Trend Report, the Millennial generation, aged 18 to 33, rivals the Baby Boomer generation in size. As a result, restaurant chains are adjusting their tactics to make their foodservice operations more appealing to this sizable demographic.
Some examples of restaurant amenities Millennials go for and accommodating chains include:
Late night service:
- Taco Bell offers a "4th meal"
- Denny's runs an all-nighter promotion at select locations
Super indulgent offerings:
- KFC's double down sandwich
- Friendly's grilled cheese sandwich patty melt
- Carl's Jr. footlong cheeseburger
Community outreach, fresh food and lounge layout:
- Burgerville combines all three
Other key Technomic findings:
- Three out of four Millennials visited Facebook within 30 days, significantly more than Gen Xers (66percent) and Boomers (50 percent)
- Half of Millennial consumers say they enjoy trying new restaurants and think it is important to try different types of foods
- Millennials are very interested in French, Thai and Spanish cuisine
75: The percent of Millenials who feel restaurants are a great place to gather with friends. In contrast, only 68 percent of Baby Boomers share this perspective.