Phil Hickey, chairman of Miller’s Ale House Restaurants, received the 2020 Gold Plate Award presented by the International Foodservice Manufacturers Association.
Hickey’s career in the restaurant industry spans 47 years. At 29, he co-founded the Cooker Bar & Grille concept and took the company public 5 years later. Over the course of the next four decades, Hickey led several full-service restaurant chains. Hickey also volunteered his time in support of the industry, co-founding the Georgia Restaurant Association and serving as chairman of the National Restaurant Association.
“It is an honor and one that I will treasure the rest of my life,” Hickey says. “The restaurant business is amazing. We've had a rough bit of sledding these past seven months or so — but we touch lives, we elevate lives, and make it better. Let's keep doing that together.”
Hickey was one of eight foodservice professionals to receive IFMA’s 2020 Silver Plate Award. From those eight Silver Plate Award recipients, one is selected to receive the Gold Plate Award. The 2020 Silver Plate recipients include:
- Independent Restaurants/Multi-Concept: Joe Essa, president and CEO, Thomas Keller Restaurant Group
- Chain Limited Service: Scott Redler, COO/co-founder, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers
- Healthcare: Eric Eisenberg, director of dining services, Rogue Valley Manor
- Elementary and Secondary Schools: Bertrand Weber, director, culinary and wellness services, Minneapolis Public Schools
- Colleges and Universities: Zia Ahmed, senior director of dining services, The Ohio State University
- Business and Industry/Foodservice Management: Victoria Vega, senior vice president, specialty group, Unidine Corporation
- Retail & Specialty Foodservice: Brandon Chrostowski, founder/president/CEO, EDWINS Leadership & Restaurant Institute