University of Wisconsin-Madison's Union South takes top honor.
Foodservice Equipment and Supplies has named the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Union South, its 2013 Facility Design Project of the Year. FE&S will recognize the design team for this project during its 2013 Dealer of the Year and Industry Awards Gala, which takes place May 18 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Chicago.
In addition, FE&S announced that the Crossroads Café at William Jessup University in California earned recognition as first honourable mention from the judges and the foodservice operation at Elmhurst Memorial Hospital in Elmhurst, Ill., earned a second honourable mention.
"The University of Wisconsin-Madison's Union South features a creative design and layout that makes good use of the latest in foodservice technology and features centralized support that allows the operations team to adjust labor deployment as needed," said FE&S Editor Joe Carbonara. "In addition, this self-operated facility did a good job of creating proprietary branded concepts, which is not easy to do. The net result is a well-used and well-received facility.
Here are some of the key players from the Union South design team:
- Director of Dining Services, Wisconsin Union: Carl Korz, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis.
- Facilities Director and Internal Project Manager: Paul Broadhead
- Divisional Heads: Jim Long, restaurant division director; Peter Behrendt, markets and café director; and Lisa Wadzinske, catering division director
- Architect: Workshop Architects, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis.; Jan van den Kieboom, principal; Wally Johnson, project coordinator
- Foodservice Management Advisory Services: Rob White, president, and Eric Leonard, Envision Strategies, Denver, Colo.
- Culinary Design: Kathleen Seelye, managing partner, Ricca Newmark Design, Denver, Colo.; Derek Sisson, project director, Michigan office
- Branding and Signage: Mark Schmitz, principal/creative director, Zebradog, Madison, Wis.
- Equipment Dealer: Stafford-Smith, Inc., Kalamazoo, Mich.; for project, satellite office, Elkhorn, Wis.
- Construction Management: CG Schmidt, Milwaukee; Dave Albrecht, project manager
FE&S is able to present its 2013 Dealer of the Year and Industry Awards Gala thanks to the generous support of its three platinum sponsors: Manitowoc Foodservice, True and Unified Brands.
FE&S' Dealer of the Year and Industry Awards gala recognizes the foodservice community's brightest stars by presenting them with some of the industry's most time-honored awards. Held each year on the Saturday of the National Restaurant Association's trade show in Chicago, this event brings together the best of the best to celebrate the ongoing success of the foodservice industry.