Here, Rick Johnson, service manager at Horizon Equipment, based in Eagan, Minn., provides information on cleaning and maintaining conveyor toasters.
- Before performing any cleaning or maintenance on a conveyor toaster, switch off the unit and make sure it is cool.
- These units should never be sprayed with or submerged in water.
- Each day, wipe the stainless steel outside with a damp cloth. Tackle tough stains with a stainless steel cleaner. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or pads, as they can mar the finish and create tiny ruts where soil can accumulate.
- Clean tough-to-reach places with a small brush and mild soap.
- Remove the crumb tray and toast collector pans, and clean them with soap and water. Rinse them well and either dry the tray and collector pans or let them air-dry.
- To clean the toast feeder ramp, disconnect it and wipe with a damp cloth.
- On a weekly basis, check air vents for accumulation of dust and other debris, then wipe or vacuum them clean. Failure to do this may result in the unit overheating and shutting down.
- If lightly soiled, the conveyor belt can be turned to the fastest setting and wiped with a damp cloth.