For the second consecutive year, a harsh economic climate took its toll on foodservice equipment and supplies dealers. In 2009, 64 of the top 100 E&S dealers reported a decline in sales, and according to FE&S estimates, 11 dealers were flat or experienced lower sales than in 2008. All told, FE&S projects sales among the top 100 dealers declined by $583 million, or 11.89 percent, in 2009.
In response to lagging sales, many dealers chose to change their buying-group affiliations with the hope of squeezing better pricing and rebates out of their manufacturing partners. Over the course of the past year the equipment-and-supplies community witnessed the birth of onebuying group, the dissolution of another and a lot of churn among the remaining dealers and buying groups. Whether all of this activity benefits the industry or just a select few continues to the subject of hushed debate among the dealer and manufacturer communities. Only time will tell.
There is much information about the industry’s top 100 dealers by sales volume. Here are a couple of data points that caught our eye:
- Average sales per salesperson among the top 100: $1.78 million
- Average sales per employee for the top 100: $465,313
We hope that you find this data informative and useful. And, as always, if you have any ideas about how to improve this study, don’t hesitate to let us know.
|ANNUAL EST SALES THIS YEAR
|ANNUAL EST SALES LAST YEAR
|# of Salespeople
(inside & outside)
|1||Edward Don & Co.
North Riverside, IL
(1) H24%, L5%, SW25%, T25%, P/D15%, J3%, F3%
|2||TriMark USA Inc.
S. Attleboro, MA
(2) H50%, L10%, SW11%, T9%, P/D15%, J3%, F2%
(3) H31%, L10%, SW27%, T24%, P/D4%, J3%, F1%
|4||Strategic Equipment & Supply Co.
(4) H60%, L15%, S&L 10%, SW5%, T5%, P/D2%, J1%, F2%
|5||The Boelter Companies
(5) H25%, L5%, SW13%, T30%, P/D20%, J5%, F2%
(6) H30%, L20%, SW20%, T15%, P/D5%, J5%, F5%
|8||Singer Equipment Co.
LP, Elverson, PA
(8) H51%, L10%, SW10%, T7%, P/D17%, J4%, F1%
|127.3||134.3||43||ABC, IFED, OTHER|
(11) H90%, L10%
|90||105||35||EDI, ISE, OTHER|
|10||R.W. Smith & Co.
San Diego, CA
|11||Concept Services, Inc.
(22) H35%, L10%, SW10%, T10%, P/D20%, J5%, F10%
Fort Smith, AR
(10) H25%, L30%, SW15%, F30%
|14||PrimeSource FoodService Equipment
(12) H21%, L44%, SW22%, T1%, J2%, F10%
|15||Mission Restaurant Supply Company
San Antonio, TX
(20) H71%, L4%, SW14%, T9%, F2%
|16||Ace Mart Restaurant Supply
San Antonio, TX
(13) H25%, L12%, SW30%, T16%, P/D2%, J4%, F11%
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
(18) H90%, L10%
|18||Duray/J.F. Duncan Industries
(19) H95%, L5%
|19||C&T Design & Equipment Co.
(--) H75%, L15%, SW5%, F5%
|20||Hockenbergs Equipment & Supply Co.
(17) H59%, L15%, SW10%, T5%, P/D7%, J1%, F3%
|68.8||74||82||ABC, IFED, OTHER|
|21||East Bay Rest. Supply Inc.
(14) H25%, L21%, SW20%, T15%, J4%, F5%
|22||General Hotel and Restaurant Supply
(23) H40%, L10%, SW15%, T12%, P/D20%, J2%, F1%
|24||Atlanta Fixture & Sales Co.
Inc., Atlanta, GA
(25) H40%, L25%, SW15%, T7%, P/D6%, J2%, F5%
|25||Hotel & Restaurant Supply
(26) H40%, L20%, SW20%, T10%, J5%, F5%
|26||Smith & Greene Co.
(28) H50%, L8%, SW20%, T10%, P/D1%, J1%, F10%
Monterey Park, CA
(27) H40%, L15%, SW25%, T10%, J5%, F5%
|28||Calico Industries, Inc.
Anapolis Junction, MD
(31) H10%, L10%, SW30%, T5%, P/D10%, J35%
|29||Great Lakes Hotel Supply Co.
(30) H90%, L10%
|30||Kirby Restaurant Supply
(32) H50%, L10%, J40%
|31||Paramount Restaurant Supply Corp.
(24) H60%, L10%, SW5%, F10%, FAB 15%
|36||60||n/a||ABC, SEFA, OTHER|
|32||Johnson-Lancaster & Assoc. Inc.
Safety Harbor, FL
(35) H75%, L25%
|33||Ford Hotel Supply Co.
Inc., St. Louis, MO
|34||Beltram Foodservice Supply
(29) H40%, L15%, SW20%, T5%, P/D3%, J7%, F10%
|35||Sam Tell & Son Inc.
(34) H23%, L8%, SW27%, T28%, P/D9%, J4%, F1%
(99) H31%, L3%, SW7%, T3%, P/D38%, J16%, F2%
|37||Curtis Rest. Equipment Inc.
(36) H55%, L15%, SW15%, T5%, J2%, F8%
|39||Best Restaurant Equipment & Design Inc.
(33) H53%, L20%, SW14%, T2%, F11%
|40||State Restaurant Equipment Co.
Las Vegas, NV
(37) H15%, L1%, SW22%, T60%, J1%, F1%
|41||Birmingham Restaurant Supply, Inc.
(41) H55%, L14%, SW20%, T10%, F1%
|42||Arizona Restaurant Supply
(42) H75%, L10%, SW12%, T3%
|43||Kamran & Co.
Inc., Santa Barbara, CA
|44||Buffalo Hotel Supply Co. Inc.
(47) H66%, L6%, SW10%, T8%, J1%, F9%
|45||SML Stainless Steel Group
|46||Kittredge Equipment Co. Inc.
(43) H52%, L16%, SW16%, T8%, P/D4%, J2%, F2%
|47||H. Weiss Co.
(48) H40%, L10%, SW23%, T10%, P/D10%, J5%, F2%
|48||Mobile Fixture & Equipment Co.
(39) H50%, L10%, SW20%, T10%, P/D3%, J2%, F5%
|49||Premium Supply Company
Deer Park, NY
(45) H30%, L9%, SW15%, T16%, P/D20%, J8%, F2%
(44) H30%, SW35%, F35%
|51||Penn Jersey Paper Co.
(51) H6%, L3%, SW4%, T3%, P/D77%, J7%, F1%
(46) H20%, L15%, SW20%, T10%, P/D25%, J10%
|53||Oswalt Restaurant Supply
Oklahoma City, OK
(62) H75%, L10%, SW8%, T5%, F2%
|54||Rapids Wholesale Equipment
(60) H70%, L15%, SW8%, T4%, F3%
|55||The Warehouse Store Fixture Company
(50) H50%, L25%, SW10%, T10%, F5%
Las Vegas, NV
|57||Boston Showcase Co.
Newton Highlands, MA
(53) H45%, L15%, SW15%, T15%, J5%, F5%
|58||Manning Bros. Food Service Equip. Co. Inc.
(49) H50%, L25%, SW20%, T3%, P/D2%
|59||The Restaurant Source
(56) H30%, T70%
|60||Dykes Restaurant Supply, Inc.
(52) H50%, L10%, SW15%, T10%, J5%, F10%
|61||Schweppe & Sons
(59) H30%, L15%, SW15%, T5%, P/D20%, J10%, F5%
|62||B & J-Peerless Food Service Equipment
Kansas City, KS
(54) H55%, L6%, SW30%, T3%, P/D2%, J2%, F2%
|63||Restaurant Equipment World
(67) H70%, L10%, SW5%, T5%, P/D3%, J2%, F5%
|65||Breckenridge Kitchen Equip. & Design
(87) H85%, L12%, F3%
|66||Alack Refrigeration Co.
(74) H60%, L8%, SW18%, T5%, P/D1%, J3%, F5%
|68||United Rest. Equipment
(70) H30%, L10%, SW30%, T10%, P/D5%, J10%, F5%
|69||United Restaurant Supply
Colorado Springs, CO
Lee's Summit, MO
(58) H12%, L9%, SW59%, T10%, P/D2%, J5%, F3%
|71||Dakota Food Equipment Inc.
|72||Bar Boy Products Co. Inc.
(68) H39%, L10%, SW25%, T12%, P/D6%, J3%, F5%
|14.7||15.1||24||NAFED, NISSCO RDG|
|73||Lonestar Restaurant Supply
(90) H40%, L20%, SW20%, T20%
|74||Amundsen Food Equipment
Oklahoma City, OK
(69) H85%, L12%, SW3%
Santa Cruz, CA
|76||Bintz Restaurant Supply
Salt Lake City, UT
(64) H40%, L10%, SW20%, T23%, J1%, F6%
|77||Louisiana Foodservice Equipment, Alexandria, LA
(--) H75%, L15%, SW5%, F5%
Bullhead City, AZ
(72) H15%, L5%, SW5%, T10%, P/D40%, J21%, F4%
|79||Food Service Equipment
(78) H60%, L15%, SW10%, T5%, J2%, F8%
|80||E. Friedman Associates
(82) H80%, L10%, SW5%, T4%, J1%
|81||Buckelew's Food Service Equipment, Shreveport, LA
(84) H70%, L20%, SW5%, T5%
(79) H66%, L17%, SW7%, T5%, J1%, F4%
|83||Gold Star Products
Oak Park, MI
(66) H20%, L10%, SW30%, T20%, P/D10%, J5%, F5%
|84||Dean Supply Co.
(85) H5%, L5%, SW10%, T21%, P/D41%, J17%, F1%
|85||Restaurant and Store Equipment Co., Salt Lake City, Utah
|86||Atlas Restaurant Supply, South Bend, IN
(75) H30%, L10%, SW20%, T15%, P/D10%, J10%, F5%
|87||May FoodService Equipment & Design Corp.
(76) H95%, L5%
Fountain Valley, CA
(92) H29%, L15%, SW46%, T8%, J1%, F1%
|89||American Energy Restaurant Equipment
(65) H70%, L10%, SW5%, J10%, F5%
|90||Curtis Restaurant Supply
(80) H58%, L12%, SW19%, T7%, J2%, F2%
|91||Eastern Bakers Supply Co.
(88) H46%, L16%, SW21%, T11%, F6%
|92||Associated Foodservice Equipment
|93||B&G Restaurant Supply, Inc.
(91) H45%, L15%, SW15%, T20%, P/D1%, J1%, F3%
|94||Tassone Equipment Corp.
(94) H15%, L15%, SW15%, T15%, P/D30%, J10%
|96||Star Restaurant Equip. & Supply Co.
Van Nuys, CA
(89) H25%, L25%, SW40%, T4%, J5%, F1%
|97||Economy Restaurant Equipment & Supply Co.
San Marcos, CA
(95) H44%, L28%, SW10%, F18%
|98||Boxer Northwest Co.
(86) H30%, L15%, SW45%, T10%
|99||DePalo & Sons
(93) H25%, L15%, SW15%, T15%, P/D20%, J5%, F5%
|100||Burkett Restaurant Equipment, Toledo, OH
(--) H58%, L25%, SW5%, T5%, J2%, F5%
|101||Harbour Food Service Equipment, Inc.
(96) H30%, L10%, SW20%, T35%, F5%
(98) H49%, L10%, SW9%, T8%, P/D17%, J5%, F2%
|103||F.G. Schaefer Co.
(100) H65%, L5%, SW20%, T5%, F5%
|104||Loubat Equipment Co.
New Orleans, LA
(--) H80%, L5%, SW7%, T3%, F5%
|105||Denver Equipment Company, Inc.
Sherrills Ford, NC
(21 ) H64%, L20%, SW11%, T1%, J1%, F3%
(in US$ millions)
|Difference 2008 vs 2007||-497.04|